Wednesday, June 29, 2011

6-29-11

Today we hosted a Tweetup at SHS Media Center and about a dozen people gave up their summer afternoon to share thoughts and ask questions about education and technology. There were teacher-librarians, classroom teachers and administrators - an impressive showing for do-it-yourself professional development.

We talked about social media and professional learning networks, did some small group discussions and ended the afternoon with an impromptu web tool smackdown.

Here are the sites:

Google forms - quick assessments, information gathering
Google sites (for helping the school board go paperless)
Little Bird Tales create,record and share stories online. Kids can make drawings,upload photos ...
Jing for screencasting
VoiceThread
Voki (see kindertails.blogspot.com/)
Soliderocket - alternative to Google Slideshow
Showme - create and share lessons on the iPad
sploder - create your own video games
FlipSnack - make your own online book (that flips!)
Chrome browser - required for Google Body
(Should have highlighted - AASL Best websites for teaching and learning)

Shall we have another?

5 comments:

  1. Well, since I couldn't be there today I vote "yes", let's do it again.

    I have been at concept-based reading training this week. Today we talked a bit about a book I've been wanting to read, Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller. So of course I went right out and bought it. Maybe we could all read it and have book club at the next tweetup???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Donalyn Miller. She's my heroine. I think that's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in. The Book Whisperer is a fantastic read and we Teacher-Librarians can connect to her thinking on many levels. I know several of the teachers at Creek are using Donalyn's approach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donalyn Miller is awesome! I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a HUGE fan of VoiceThread and look forward to peeking at the links you have listed here!
    Thanks for sharing!
    ~deb

    ReplyDelete