Tuesday, May 1, 2012

5-1-12

I loaded up my backseat at about 6:30 a.m. with cupcakes for the high school contest. I didn't stand a chance, but it was interesting to see students (and teachers) trying to guess what the numbers were (Dewey Decimal)


So, some days I struggle to think of something to post (not very often and it is usually a weekend). Other days, it is too hard to choose (much more common).

Today is the second kind of day. The morning rolled on with our SMS Tech Club at 7:30. We played around with the drawing tools in Google Apps (see the slide show above).

Later on, when I was at Lakeview, both the third and fourth graders took the TRAILS third grade information literacy assessment. Here are the benchmarks:
And here are our percentages, with half of third graders having taken the assessment.


51.84% from 11,295 assessed nation wide
69% from our 49 third graders

I was pretty impressed with them.


At noon, we had several students sign up to watch the live webcast of Rick Riordan, whose newest book was published today.
It was the first time we had done anything like this in the SMS media center and it was really neat. I can't wait for additional opportunities.

I got to the next school before 1 p.m. to be ready for the surprise announcement of "high school hiatus". All classes were dismissed and faculty hosted activities throughout the building.
In the Media Center, we had Dance Central, Wii games and an XBox console. The kids were great and we had a ton of fun. We even checked out books!

At the end of the day, I got an email from author Dallas Clayton saying we had permission to record and post a videotape of his poem, An Awesome Book of Thanks. I took the video clips yesterday and we'll show the movie to our PTO members Thursday night. It is SO cute and it makes me cry.

Another busy, but awesome day for SCSD Media Services!






No comments:

Post a Comment