Wednesday, June 19, 2013

6-16-13

"Making Connections" is the "brand" for SCSD Media Services and I am always looking for ways to illustrate how those connections work with both students and staff. For my evaluation this year, I wanted to put a real "face" on the statistics and show who I partnered with most often and how those connections make a difference. 

I really struggled with trying to find a tool that would help me do this. I had a picture in my mind of what I wanted it to look like, but I wasn't sure how to go about it. I finally settled on using Keynote and  thumbnail images of staff and students, dragging them around on a blank slide to represent levels of connectivity. 


For example, I had direct, consistent interaction and collaboration with 17% of the faculty, consisting of things like consulting, creating web sites, working one on one with students in the classroom, meeting to discuss resources and tech tools and staying in touch until the completion of a particular project.

For some faculty, my main role was to assist with audiovisual needs (projector lamp replacement) or to give simple help with tech tools (like where to find database login instructions). But for 26% of the faculty, I connected on some curriculum need, even if it was just via email.

I made the same kind of visualizations for each building, using a sampling of images to represent the student body. For example, my relationship (or connectivity) with students by percentage is highest at Lakeview where I work regularly with 3rd and 4th graders within the specials rotation. While at SMS, I spent several days in the 6th grade science classroom, giving me the opportunity to connect and work hands on with 100% of the students at that grade level. 

Making relevant and meaningful connections to all teachers and students at three buildings is a challenge and these visualizations helped me see where I still need to make those inroads, especially with staff that see me only in the role of a technician.

Next year, I will have a schedule for meeting with all the PLC teams and I think that will be a great help. I will then have the opportunity to learn what their expectations are and how I can help them meet the needs of their curriculum. 

I'm really looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment