Wednesday, January 29, 2014

1-29-14


"What Really Happened?"
6th graders are looking for evidence about everything from Amelia Earhart's disappearance to Bigfoot to the Bermuda Triangle. 

I've been working on a supporting web site, which is really just a pathfinder using the Google Sites platform.

Today, I met with all 90 students. The teams set up projects in EasyBib and followed along with me as I showed them the setup of the web site. It includes general search sites and more specific resources for each topic. I used the "save search" feature in both Ebsco and Gale to  generate relevant result lists so that students wouldn't get frustrated or overwhelmed with long lists to cull through. I have found this is a good way to demonstrate that these databases have awesome content and that if you learn some search strategies, you can locate trustworthy information that isn't available on their favorite tool - Google. 

I also demonstrated FollettShelf, which had new ebooks I purchased just for this assignment.

Over the next couple days students will be using EasyBib's note taking feature to capture their facts and details and to cite their sources. I'm planning to spend some time in their classrooms working with individuals with their questions and strategies.

(In between the two sixth grade Language Arts classes at the middle school, I spent time in Dawn Posekany's high school Biology class where students are working on documentation related to their science fair projects).

No comments:

Post a Comment