Tuesday, January 7, 2014

1-7-14

#morehomework meme challenge



Thanks to LeeAnne Wagner (@bhs_tl) who challenged me to do this blog post.  
This was day two of "severe cold" with no school and I have actually been writing 
most of the day, working on a blog post about being embedded in the 6th grade 
science class room for "Making Connections" so I'll end it the by writing 
a bit more. 

Here are the Rules: 
1. Acknowledge the nomination blogger. 
2. Share 11 random facts about yourself.
3. Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
4.  List 11 bloggers.  They should be bloggers you believe deserve a little recognition.
5.  Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate and let all the bloggers know they been 

nominated. (You cannot nominate the blogger who nominated you.)

11 Random Facts about Me (Wow--11, really?)


11 Random Facts About Me

1. I have an entire drawer full of reading and sunglasses.

2. My 60 gig 1st gen iPod is entirely full of music and I still listen to it.

3. I keep track of my reading on LibraryThing and I use it when I can't remember titles 
and/or authors.

4. I am addicted to podcasts. My favorite is the weekly discuss
ion of the New York Times Book Review.

5. I am obsessed with photography apps and have about 100 of them on my iPhone.


6. I worked in just about every kind of library there is: public, academic, distance ed, 
military, hospital, strip-mall, county, community college, small town, metropolitan...

7. My first computer was a PCjr. Don't judge me.

















8. I've read a lot of zombie books.












9. When I am at work, I don't go anywhere without a pen in my hand. I can't 
think without it.

10. My favorite morning beverage is a skinny latte, but I usually just have 
coffee with milk.

11. I am fascinated by stories about the poles, but I hate the cold.

Questions from LeeAnne:

1.  You are on an island and can have one book?  Which one would you bring 

and why?


Of course, that is an impossible question to answer. I used to have a large 
collection of booksthat we moved from place to place for many years, 
but now I have only a few personal copies 
and they are books I love. One of those is Marcovaldo, or The Seasons in the City 
by Italo Calvino. It is an older book of twenty shorts stories, published in 
Italian in 1963. Marcovaldo is a dreamer, but his plans never turn out quite 
as he expects. I've read it many times.

2.  What do you think will be the biggest innovation in education in the next 10 years?



I wouldn't hazard a guess. Sometimes change seems so aggressive and other times I look 
back on the last 10 years and see only negligible movement. I hope that innovation comes 
in the form of students owning their own learning. That "school" isn't just a mandated place 
or a time but something imagined and designed by the learners themselves to address their 
passions. 

3.  If you weren't in education, what occupation would you have pursued?



I've had periods during which I've been crazy for cooking. If I hadn't seen how hard life is 
in the hospitality trade (as a waitress for many years as a teen and young adult) I might 
have thought about a culinary career.

4.  What hobbies do you have, outside of reading?



Cooking for fun. I love to plan and host dinner parties, but I haven't done that for awhile.
Hey, how about a bunch of librarians! That would be awesome!

5.  Which teacher (s) had the biggest impact on you and why?



I've had so many great teachers, but I'll single out Dr Carl Orgren from my MLS days at the 
University of Iowa. I loved his energy and intellect. He was intensely enthusiastic about 
providing reference services to Iowans and he was an expert on the resources, 
which at that time were primarily print. 

6.  What conference/workshop would you consider most valuable?



It will probably sound self-serving, since I am the current chair, but while working in Iowa 
at a school, the best conferences for me have been the ones organized by the Association 
of School Librarians. I love the focus, the networking and the sharing.

7.  Do you have a bucket list? If so, what are some items you are willing to share?



I don't have a bucket list, although I probably should. If I did, I'd probably include a 
tour of Europe, reading some of the classics I haven't found time for... I don't think 
I really want to parachute out of plane.

8.  You can eat a meal without having to worry about any negative effects 

(weight, cholesterol, etc) what would be included?


I think instead of selecting the menu items, I'd rather ask that I choose with whom I dine. 
The best part of a meal is the company, so I'd ask to be with friends or family. I love 
talking over good food.

9.  Where is one location that you would like to visit and why?



I've never been to the Library of Congress! How can that be? I'd love to see the 
librarians in action there.

10.  What is your favorite inspirational quote?

"Books belong to their readers" ~ John Green 

11.  What is your most cherished memory of your childhood?



Reading alone in my bedroom.

My challenge goes out to these bloggers:

Bloggers:
@sarahstaudt
@alyssamcalhoun
@ccls531
@mhuki1
@JannetteThrane
@acpower35
@val_ehlers
@kristyskoglund
@soldenkamp
@jmscheivert
@ksteingr

Questions (all borrowed from other #morehomework responses):

1. Rate graphic novels on a scale of 1-10, with 1 representing “useless” 
and 10 representing “simply amazing. 
(http://www.scriptedspontaneity.com/2013/12/more-homework-meme/)
2. Which educational author do you disagree with the most?
 http://mctownsley.blogspot.com/2013/12/more-homework-meme.html
3. E-reader or old fashioned paper? 
4. What is your favorite comedy of all time?
http://mctownsley.blogspot.com/2013/12/more-homework-meme.html
5. What would most surprise your high school classmates about you now?
http://www.teachingquality.org/content/more-homework-meme-1
6. What member of your digital network has had the greatest impact on your professional growth?
http://blog.williamferriter.com/2013/12/14/more-homework/
7. What is the first concert you ever went to? (Excluding school concerts)
http://lynhilt.com/more-homework-meme/
8. What was your favorite children’s book as a child or favorite to read as a parent?
http://stumpteacher.blogspot.com/2013/12/more-homework-meme.html
9. Songza, Spotify, Pandora, iTunes Radio or something else? (this one is mine)
10. If you were a superhero, which one would you be?
http://coachinandout.blogspot.com/2013/12/more-homework-meme.html
11. If you could give your younger self advice, what would you say?
http://teachingtechie.typepad.com/learning/2013/12/meme-getting-to-know-you-in-our-virtual-space.html





No comments:

Post a Comment