Sunday, January 4, 2015

1-1-15



I started this "photo a day" blog January 1, 2011, inspired by Twitter friend, @barbaraday. It has been a joy to do and I recommend the exercise to anyone in education. It is super simple and makes you think everyday, "how do I tell my story?" It is also like a journal that I frequently reference and link to.

Do I have a lot of followers? No, but I don't care. I do it for myself and for the few people I know that do read it faithfully (a shout out to @mctownsley and @barbaraday !) On the days when I feel low and wonder if what I do makes a difference, all I have to do is glance through an album and be reminded of so many learning experiences, connections and relationships that have made a difference to me and to my colleagues and students.

Over the last four years, I've posted 1,240 times, sharing 2,351 images and I've taken hundreds, if not thousands of pictures that didn't make the blog cut. Throughout the district, I'm expected to have a camera, smart phone or tablet at the ready to capture events and I constantly share photos with staff (for their e-portfolios, blogs and family albums) and even with parents who enjoy seeing their students "in action" during the school day. I use them for Facebook pages and for Twitter posts.

 A picture really can be worth a thousand words. If you want to know the story of SCSD Media Services, just take a trip through our image portfolios.

It has always seemed a bit strange to have a blog year that goes by the calendar and not the school year, starting January 1st and ending December 31st. This year however, it is even more odd, because I know I won't be finishing it with the first half of the 2015-16 school year. The blog and I will both be retiring at the end of this school year in June.

That will make every picture and post even more precious and meaningful to me. Follow the last few months of my 37 year career in libraries!





2 comments:

  1. I have so enjoyed the glimpse into your life that these images have shared! Thanks also for the nudge to share our stories also! Congratulations on a great accomplishment! :)

    ReplyDelete